Okay, I'm sure many of you are thinking, well yeah, so do I, but what I mean is, I LOVE being a mom. I know many think I am nuts. Never being separated from my kiddos. Not trusting others to watch over them. Rarely, getting time alone. Truth is, at times I do wish I could get a break. And to take it a step further, if we had family live close by, I am certain I would trust them to look after the kids on occasion so Phil and I could perhaps go on a date or I could go shopping by myself, but the fact is, we don't have family nearby. And I don't trust others to watch my kids. Call me paranoid. I just don't. I guess that's not entirely true. There are a few people I would trust the kids with. However, they have their own families so it's not like I'm going to ask them to watch mine so I can go shopping. lol For the most part though, I just love it. I love having the kids in bed with us at night. I love snuggling up to them. :heart I love being with them every day. I love spending time playing with them. Playing little people, dolls, building blocks, etc. with Elizabeth and Isabella. Video games, catch, legos, etc. with Philip, play dough, painting, crafts, baking with all three.... reading stories, cuddling up on a chair, singing songs, etc. I just love it all. Do I miss my single life? My life before children? No. Really, I don't miss it at all. As a matter of fact, I hated being single. I've always longed to be a mother. I've always wanted a large family. I've always dreamed of a house full of children running around. I am absolutely thrilled that God has decided to bless us with one more child. I am so thankful for my kids. They complete me. I am a mom and I love every minute of it. Okay, maybe not *every* minute but ykwim. ; ) Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a girls night out. (I haven't had one in about a year but from what I can remember, I did enjoy them!) It refreshes me. I like to come home and see their little faces just light up as they run into my arms. And as they get older, I will let go a little and do more for me again. For now however, I just want to be with them. I like to use this analogy. Imagine your life span is represented by a 12" piece of string. If you look at the very small amount of time your children REALLY need you, you'll see, it's really not that long at all. I try to remember that. I try to keep in mind that all too soon, they aren't going to want to bake cookies with me. They aren't going to want to play another game of Uno. Philip will be off with his friends, not playing The Hobbit with his mom. ; ) Isabella will be too big to want to curl up in my lap and snuggle. <> And I know that I'm going to have a hard time with that. I'm holding onto these moments for as long as I can. I'm often the "odd one out" though. I know people think I am a little weird when it comes to my kids. I know my way isn't for everyone. And that's okay. I don't judge others who don't feel as I do. I wish it were the other way around though. :: sigh :: Not that I really care but it does irritate me when people seem SO bothered by my actions. Like why do YOU care where my kids sleep? ;) And YES, my husband and I get time alone together. (how do you think we ended up with 3 + kiddos anyhow?!?! ; )) I remember one night, I was at a girls night out. A lady, who had NO children btw, was listening to my neighbor and I talking about how scary the world has become. How it's not the same as when we were growing up. I'm not letting my 14 year old daughter go hang out at the mall. I don't let my 7 year old son go into a public restroom by himself. (well, unless it's one that is just one big room) I don't let them go to a friends house where I don't KNOW the parents/family. I don't let them play outside unless I can see them. Etc. Anyhow, she looks at me in disbelief and says, "You can't protect them from EVERYTHING you know. You have to let them be KIDS." I was dumbfounded. Huh? Well, first of all, talk to me after you've had a child. Second... huh? Whatever! ; ) I'd rather be a paranoid mom with my children all safe than not but to each his own. It's just not a chance I want to take. Again, not that I think you are wrong if you do those things, but I just can't do them.I also think my in-laws think I'm nuts. lol Oh I know they love me and think I'm a good parent, but I don't think they agree with my style. Phil and I aren't exactly "main stream." Between breastfeeding on demand, homeschooling, co-sleeping. etc. they just don't "get it." And we won't even get into the whole "gun" thing. :: gasp :: "You have GUNS?!?!? In the HOUSE?!?!?!" And my personal favorite,"Are they locked up?" "Ummm no. We just leave them on the coffee table." Arg! give me a little credit already! Speaking of those three topics... (We'll ignore the gun one for now. That's an entirely different post. ; ) ) Believe it or not, they seem to really bother people. I'm not sure why exactly but iI have had compete strangers interrupt me when they find out I co-sleep, ("You know, you REALLY shouldn't let your child sleep in your bed...") homeschool, ("you homeschool?? What about socialization!?!?!?") and breastfeed on demand until they self-wean. (You're STILL nursing???? You really need to put them on a schedule.") and on and on it goes. I even had a employee at Verizon start arguing with me about homeschooling. All I wanted was a cell phone! Oy! Of course, I "argued" right back. ; ) I'm pretty sure, by the time I was finished he was wishing he had never said a word to me. LOL I guess I just don't get why it seems to bother people so much. It's not like I'm walking around saying, if you don't homeschool, you're a bad parent. Or, I'm a better parent than you because I breastfed. :: rolling eyes :: Wow, I really went on and on about this.... :: blushing :: And with that I'm going to sleep. Yes, snuggled up next to both Isabella and Elizabeth. ; ) Good night friends! : )
I self wean as well, is there another way? ;) It makes it sooooooo much of am easier transition and heck they are only little once.
You gotta do what is right for you and only you can be the judge of that!