Wow! Has it really been that long since I have updated this thing? lol I almost forgot all about it. ; ) Seriously, I have just been so busy trying to get things done lately. Not to mention, I am usually typing one handed and quite frankly, I just get tired trying to type up big old long posts with one hand. It takes forever. ; ) So anyhow, here I am. Anyone miss me? LOL!! Hmmm, lots of things to talk about... where to start??? Wednesday, we went to playgroup at the park... I was kind of standing and playing with Elizabeth, watching Isabella and keeping my eye on Philip. He was playing near some other kids and I noticed that he was sort of agitated looking. So, I calmly walk over and sort of listen in to what is being said. I can't remember word for word but basically, it didn't sound like he was being very nice. Something like, "You can't come over here!" I call him over and quietly explain that I don't want to hear him talking like that to other kids. It's not nice, etc. He agreed, apologized and walked away.
I keep listening... There are apparently two "teams." The one Philip is on with one other girl and the other team of about 4-5 kids. The "other" team has borought light sabers and some other misc. toys from home. They are "guarding" their "fort" and are yelling at Philip and the other girl that they can't come through the tunnel to their side.
The girl walks away. Philip sits there talking with them. Why can't I come over, etc. I continue to listen. Part of me wants to speak up but I'm really not sure if they are just playing or being mean. So, I continue to listen.
One boy calls Phil a "dummystupid head" or some other equally juvenile name. I don't like name calling. playing or not, so I calmly say, that's not very nice and add, Philip I don't want you to call anyone names, even if you are just playing. He hadn't, but I wanted to send a message and didn't want this kid to feel picked on by me.
Anyhow, this goes on and on. The kids runs away to another area, then they come back, all the while kind of being "mean" to Philip (the girl has since decided that they aren't really that much fun to play with and hasn't returned. Can't say I blame her.) I'm getting really annoyed but am still hesitant to say anything. Part of me feels like I shouldn't get involved and let the kids work it out, part of me doesn't know if they are really just playing "good guys" vs. "bad guys" etc. But another part of me thinks, Philip must be feeling pretty sad. He's just trying to play with them and they aren't responding in a manner where they are allowing him to play. : (
After listening to this one kid yell at Philip once again about not being able to go through the tunnel, I have had enough. I explain that Philip can go through the tunnel if he wants to and that we should all try to play nice with each other. He repsonds with, "We don't have to!" Grrrrr!
Anyhow, I call Philip and ask him why doesn't he just go find that nice girl and play with her. We can't make people be nice to us and if they aren't going to play nice then there is no reason to continue hanging around with them. He kind of leaves for a minute but quickly returns to try to talk to them. :
What can I do? I'm trying not to make a scene. I don't want Philip to feel bad but at the same time, I don't want Philip to feel bad. We just moved here a couple of months ago. He hasn't really met any good friends yet. He's lonely. He wants friends. This was just breaking my heart. : ( : (
So, I wait a bit longer and give my 5 minute warning. I had had enough. Time to go home. ; )
On the way home, I try to find out what happened without making a big deal out of it.
This is what I gathered:
The kids told Philip if he didn't want to be on the bad guy team he couldn't play with them. Philip will NEVER be the bad guy so he chose the other team.
Philip didn't want to jump off a climbing thing and they proceeded to call him a chicken, scaredy cat, etc. This upset him and "made him mad."
One girl laughed at him when he talked about Jesus.
Etc. etc.
Okay, wtf! I know, "kids will be kids right?" WRONG!! Do people not teach their children to be empathetic? Do they ever listen to, or watch their kids play/interact with other kids? (I should note, these kids parents were sitting at the picnic tables about 20 feet away chatting) These kids were just being bratty plain and simple. : (
I get so sick of hearing, kids will be picked on. It's part of being a kid. Bullshit! It shouldn't be. No kid should be picked on. It's not right. I suspect the parents that think this behavior is okay are people who haven't actually been picked on as a child. I further suspect, they'd be more than a little irritated watching some other kid pick on theirs.
Philip has never had troubles making friends. He's very outgoing and friendly. He's always had lots of friends. However, Philip is a peacemaker. He is always trying to make and keep peace. Even if that means, being treated poorly by some little brats who haven't been taught good manners. Okay, so what would you have done? I am so sad about this. In a way, I don't want to take him back. I know that's not the answer, but honestly, I've never been overly fond of this playgroup anyhow. Most days, I sit by myself because all the moms sit at the tables chatting and I can't very well leave Bella and E. to fend for themselves. That's okay and all but they just aren't overly friendly. : ( Anyhow, I called another lady about the Scottsville homeschool group so hopefully she will call soon. I know there are lots of kids Philip's age in this group. ::crossing fingers :: My hair - To be blunt. I don't like it. : ( It's not that she did a bad job or anything but I just am not happy with it. I haven't had one "good hair day" since having it done. : ( Again, it's not that it looks bad, just not how I want. I told Phil, that's it! I'm going back to Donald. I don't care if I have to drive two plus hours to get there. (he's totally worth it! ; ) ) I'm calling up and making an appointment for early November. ; ) While I'm up there I'll go ahead and do some Christmas shopping. : ) AFP test - I call the dr. to see if they had the results of my test. Guess what? I took the test too early so I have to take it again. Arg!!! This really irritates me. I mean, at my last appointment, the dr. said we'll need to decide by your next appointment if you want to take it. Then at the end of the appointment, she said, you know, you can just go ahead and take it today. So, I did. Lot of good that did me. Whatever! So, now I get to do it all again next month. Tivo - I LOVE it!!! Omgosh! It is so wonderful! I have been taping all sorts of nonsense. LOL But it's nice to watch stuff I like instead of just whatever happens to be on. And the kids love that I can tape their favorite shows and we never miss them. : ) Land - Well we are meeting someone at the land on Monday about the well. Hopefully, we will just hire them. They could start probably in a week and it will only take a day, so if all goes well, I can go apply for the building permit by the end of this month. :: crossing fingers :: I'm still working on finding a septic company but I don't need to have that done before getting the permit so at least it won't hold us up. : ) I've also called a concrete company about the foundation and will call a few more as well as a few excavating companies and framers next week. I want to start getting this stuff lined up so we can start ASAP after getting the permit back. Wish us luck that all goes smoothly. : ) I'm already over renting and want to be IN my house. ; ) I also called someone about coming to "mow" the land. It's getting BAD! Ugh! I can't get over how much it grew this summer. Ha! They are going to look at it this weekend and will call me with an estimate in a few days. I hope this isn't as bad as I think it's going to be. We could just mow the thing ourselves if we had someplace to keep the mower. : \ Oh well. Hopefully if we go ahead and get it taken care of now, it will be okay until next year. :D Weather - We have finally had some cooler weather. Woo hoo!! I hope it stays this way. We all enjoyed spending the afternoon outside yesterday running all around. Ahhhh! Come on autumn!!! : )
Gymboree - I received my order. Gymbo has started a new shipping service with fedex/usps. Basically, it SUCKS! I always liked how gymboree orders came SO fast. Well, those days are over. My package was in C'ville (17 miles away) on Tuesday and wasn't delievered until Thursday! Ugh! Then to top it off I ordered all the socks the wrong size, so now I need to go to a store and hope to find the correct sizes. Fun! :: rolling eyes :: I liked everything though. The Romantic Garden line is just TOO cute! : ) Bella had lots of fun modeling all of her new clothes for us. ; )
I think that's it for now. I need to go get some more stuff listed on ebay. ; ) Night all! : )
I think you handled things at the playgroup better than I would have.
What are you listing on ebay? I will need to check it out. :)
Btw ~ can you tell he's not a big fan of gymbo? Hee hee!
Ahhh Heather, nothing interesting, just homeschooling items. I might be selling some cute little girl clothes if I find out i'm having a boy. : )
It breaks my heart hearing about your playgroup day. :( I hope you and your children find some like-minded friends, soon.