Our Journey...
~ Join us on our journey through life
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
We're on our way!
I picked up the permits for our well and septic system today. Yeah, I know I said I was going to do it last week but I got lazy. ; )

Since Wednesday is the kids playgroup day, I convinced Phil to come along so he could watch them play while I went for the permits. Have I mentioned how much I love having him home? : )

As I am quickly learning, building a house yourself is a pita! lol

First, I had to go to the health department and pick up the conditional permit. Then off to the county court house. That's all fine and good until I can't find a parking space. Argh!! So, I drive around for 15 minutes until I finally find a spot, two blocks away. Ah joy! I get to walk in this lovely, super humid weather we had today. Really though, I wasn't complaining I was just happy to have found a parking spot. The office I need is on the second floor. I needed to get one paper notarized. Guess what, they don't have a notary. So, I walk down to the basement, get the form notarized and back up to the second floor to get the permits recorded. Then I walked back to the van and headed back to the health department to get the final permits. <>

At least, we have them and now we can get started. Once we get the well and septic in we can go ahead and get our building permit and then the real fun begins! : ) I can't wait!!!


Of course, we are now running into another issue... the papers we saw originally showed that the land perked for a 3 bedroom home. We were told, that they were going to get it corrected to allow for a 4 bedroom home. Well. little did I know that the only way we can build a 4 bedroom home is if we use water saving fixtures throughout the entire house. They are never going to allow a 5 bedroom home. :( Now, we don't plan to use the 5th bedroom as a bedroom but I'm sure that doesn't matter as it *could* be a bedroom. Arg! Now what the hell are we going to do? Phil said we can just leave the one wall out and make it one giant bedroom but the bathroom we had planned to keep is separating the two. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh!

So, we have some figuring to do... Hopefully, we can come up with a way to fix it. I'm going to call the county tomorrow and see if there is anything we can do to get it approved as is. ::crossing fingers::

When I pulled into the parking lot of the playground, I smiled as I watched Elizabeth playing in the water. Bella was sitting on her daddies lap but got up when she saw me and ran over to me. Awww! It was so sweet. Elizabeth didn't seem to notice I had been gone and was having a grand old time splashing around. She just loves the water. Philip was also busy running around with his friends but he did come over to give me a quick hug. I just love these kids! : )




3 Comments:
Blogger Lois said...
That is interesting about how many rooms can be built on it. I know absolutely nothing about building, so the whole process is foreign to me :o)

Blogger Dana said...
Mel~

It really isn't so much them telling me how big of a house I can build. It just depends on how the land perks.

Orginally the land perked for a 3 bedroom home. The seller told us that they were going to get the approval letter changed to allow for a 4 bedroom home. We thought, no big deal. Until, we realized that they ONLY way we were being allowed to buid a 4 bedroom home was *if* we used the water saving fixtures throughout the house. I'm thinking there's pretty much no chance of them allowing a larger home.

Size of the house allowed is determined based on how the land perked for a septic system. If it can't support a 5 bedroom home, they can't allow you to build one, kwim. : )

Bottom line: It sucks! lol

Blogger Kendra said...
What an ordeal...we just wanted to put in new windows in our condo and it was such a hassle getting permits and stuff. I can imagine that building an entire house is just a headache. Glad you got to escape to get some stuff done and come back to enjoy the kiddos :)